In today's post, I would love to share this oh so lovely modern quilt that I call The Scattered Windows. This quilt is made with layer cake, or the 10" squares. The Fabric that I used for this quilt is the Sugarcreek from Moda Fabrics, I love the beautiful fresh color combination of this line of fabric, perfect for spring/summer.
This quilt is pretty simple and so much fun to make, and the result will simply brought a smile on your face :).
Let's Get Started!
The Scattered Windows Layer Cake Quilt
Finished Quilt Measurements : 60.5" x 70.5"
1 set of layer cake (10" squares pre cut fabric 42x)
1 yard of accent fabric for the sashing
1/2 yard of fabric for the binding
Basic sewing and quilting notions
Disclaimer : This post contains Amazon Affiliate Links, which means I earn a small percentage of commission when you make a purchase (with no additional cost), thanks for your support!
I posted the full video tutorial on my Youtube channel, that you may watch below, or scroll down to read the written instructions.
1. Layout your layer cake straight on the cutting mat, measure 6" then cut
2. Rotate your cutting mat at 90˚. The cutting line should now in horizontal position.
3. Measure 6" and cut, you should now end up with 4 block pieces.
4. Cut all of your layer cake squares the same way (you should end up with 42x of each fabric A,B,C, and D.
5. Cut 1.5" strips (width of fabric) from your accent fabric. You will need approximately 22 strips.
6. Cut the sashing strips according to the below measurements (make 42x each)
7. To make the quilt block layout your pieces just like shown on the picture below.
8. Piece the block by sewing fabric A-1-B, C-2-D, then sew the sashing 3. The fished block should be 10.5" x 10.5"
9. Continue piecing your blocks (you should end up with 42 blocks).
10. Layout your blocks in 7 rows and 6 columns, in scattered order (do not align the sashing between the blocks)
11. Sew your quilt blocks together, one row at the time.
12. Layer with batting and backing fabric